Fog lifting over Wosky Pond

I am open to any technical or artistic feedback that you might offer about this image of Wosky Pond in Yosemite Valley. When I arrived at the pond early in the morning, it was totally fogged in but I decided to wait and enjoy the silence and serenity. I made this image about an hour after I arrived, when the fog had begun to lift, allowing a bit of light to shine through.

Nikon d810, 24-70mm lens at 24mm, 0.5 sec, f/18, ISO 31. No filters.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I am enjoying the scene and atmosphere, but the heavy blue/cyan cast is throwing me off in this one. I would consider pulling the cyan/blue way down or even converting it to B&W.

Dorothy, the scene is very inviting and mysterious, with the downed log providing a nice lead-in to the rest of the scene. The blue cast stands out as it adds a touch of ominousness to the mystery of the fog. The color difference between the closest parts of the log and the rest of the scene is also striking.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Some like the bluish cast, others don’t, so it is a risk in communicating with viewers. I do have a black and white version but thus far I am not satisfied with it. I’ll continue working on it!

You have captured a wonderful scene, Dorothy, it’s truly magical. Great setting, light, fog, that old log which acts a lead-in line and matches the mood. A lot of elements came together for this one. I’m not so put-off by the color, but I am curious what this would look like in black and white. Excellent work!