Fresh Catch update

Update

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was at the Historic Canoa Ranch south of Green Valley AZ where they have a small pond. This Egret is there off and on most of the year. I wanted to see how the Canon 2x extender would do with the lens I had. I also wanted to see how the new custom camera settings would work with birds.

Specific Feedback

I always have trouble with very bright birds, I did lower the highlights. Suggestions welcome

Technical Details

Canon r6ii RF 200-800 RF 2x Extender. 1/1250 f/22 (one full stop from wide) ISO 2000 I was using a strong tripod setup.


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

  • Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Dean
The eye is sharp, but most of the white detail is missing. High whites are weak point with that lens. You could look at a -.5 to -1.5 EV with Egrets and other white birds.
The photograph work and the framing is nice.
Peter

Nice shot, Dean. Whites are always difficult, but they look good in this image. Sometimes you can avoid that bluish look by warming the image just a bit. To my eye, they always look a bit better if they’re slightly warm. You caught a really good moment and detail in the bird looks very good.

The whites look detailed to me, Dean. As @Dennis_Plank mentioned warming it up a tad would help and would lessen the harshness of the light. Nicely caught and great bird.

I agree on the comments about the whites. I think there is still more detail to be found. Lovely details around the eye.

I would consider a bit of counter-clockwise leveling. If you have a little more room on top, that would be another version.

Thanks for the feedback, @David_Bostock , @Dennis_Plank , @Glenys_Passier , and @Peter_Morrissey. I made some of the changes suggested.

1 Like

Great job on the repost, Dean.

1 Like