Freshly Minted

I thought the Black-capped Chickadees were done fledging youngsters a few weeks ago, but apparently I was wrong. I shot this one just under a week ago and it’s obviously newly fledged. I also saw it begging from and being fed by an adult.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @470 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/320, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Some of the green areas in the background were distractingly intense, so I painted over them with the tan at reduced opacity. Cropped to 4768x3320. Taken from my blind at 10:44 am on August 1st.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Dennis, nicely composed and I like the perch with the bark coming away from branch. Nice pose of this cutie. Background looks good. Well done.

Nice capture, Dennis! The exposure is just right and very good clarity for ISO 1600. I’m a little curious why you didn’t open up to f/6.3 and get a little more shutter speed or lower ISO.

Hi @Gary_Minish . Probably no good reason. Way back when I got the Sigma 150-600, f/8 seemed to be the sweet spot. I just carried that on to this lens. It usually gets most of the perch in focus if I’m careful about my setup and I don’t have any problem with shooting at higher a fairly high iso. The noise reduction software seems to handle it just fine as long as I have pretty decent exposure. I could probably dial back to 7.1, but that doesn’t buy much.