Frost and Ice

What technical feedback would you like if any? All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Fall Leaves under Ice with a bit of Jack Frost
Nikon 7100, Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-200 @ 42mm f/4.4
Taken at f/18, 1/320 ISO 2000
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

What wonderful feathery texture you captured of the frost Cheryl. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

Cheryl, the shapes in the ice, the leaf colors below and the coating of frost make a fine combination. The large view doesn’t look sharp, but that may be an effect from the frost. I also think that processing for more contrast may add some pop. Shots like this are one of my favorite winter time pastimes and this one offers a lot of interest.

Thanks Mark. I will give your suggestions a try.

This is a very nice abstract image, Cheryl! I particularly like the fractal patterns in the Jack Frost that look like tree branches & leaves. The colors of the embedded fall ‘actual’ leaves seem to shine through the frost as if they were creating their own glow.

1 Like

Dennis, I went back to my Raw files, and they were much “crisper” and sharper than the JPEG…I know that we dropped from 30+ MB to 500 Kb JPEG, but is doesn’t really explain the degradation…also there is a shift in whites. Just tried converting on another photo, and what was a very sharp eye, is blurred almost pixelated…Any ideas on what could be wrong with my settings? These are very large files, and not a lot of cropping…

Cheryl, when you convert to jpg for NPN, are you telling your software to make the jpgs 1600 pixels long axis (or something near that) and then setting a quality factor? For my 20 MB files, 1600 px and 70% quallity gives good looking results in the 500-600 Kb range. NPN will accept up to 1.6 MB file sizes, so you might try to increase the quality factor and shoot for a 1 MB file size. I’ve never had this problem, so my ability to help is very limited. If my suggestions don’t work, you may want to post your problem to the Post Processing discussion forum.

Cheryl: Wonderful abstract and I especially like the color palette. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

1 Like