Frost on grass

Frost on a blade of grass. No flash used, oriented the camera to be facing into the sun. Cropped heavily after taking – sorry for the loss of resolution!

f/7.1, 1/640 s, ISO 400, 200mm (crop sensor) with Raynox DCR-150.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Any

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gaurav, photos like this are extremely challenging because of the combination of lighting and the tiny size of the subject. This view works well as an abstract with the glowing bits of frost arranged well. If you want to show the details in frost collected on a plant, you need to spend the time to find one where the frost is mostly in a single plane and you can get your camera back parallel to the frost. Backlighting does a good job of showing off the frost crystals.

1 Like

Gaurav, it is always fun trying to photograph new or difficult subjects. Challenging, for sure, but that is how we learn, which I find to be enjoyable. I think Mark gave some very good pointers for shooting frost on grass. I haven’t tried to do it much, but do know that it isn’t an easy one to accomplish. You had a good idea of getting it back lit, which really made the frost almost look like diamonds. We haven’t had our first frost yet, so maybe I will have to experiment one morning, using some of Mark’s advice.