Gadwall on Golden Pond

I think Gadwalls are rather attractive ducks, but I liked this mainly for the light and reflected reeds on the water.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600mm; 1/1000 at f7.1, +1/3 EV; ISO 320

1 Like

Allen: I like this very much. Lovely light, great subject. I really enjoy the water above the duck. I think I’d opt for little trim from the bottom as that water isn’t as interesting and I think it would make a fine image even stronger.

1 Like

A really nice shot with those reflected warm fall colors. Nice and sharp with good detail. I like the idea of a bit off the bottom into more of a pano type crop. Gadwall have such a nice feather pattern and very fine detail.

1 Like

The reflections are dramatic and fit the colors of the duck so well. I agree with quite a bit off the bottom and probably the right as well. I never know how to frame an image when the subject needs room to move into but has a nice wake behind it. I tend to include more of the wake and less of the room to move into.

1 Like

Thanks, @Keith_Bauer, @David_Leroy, and @Diane_Miller for your comments. I agree it looks better with less on the bottom. Here’s a repost with some off the right and bottom. I went from a 5x4 to a 6x4.

1 Like

Yup that did the trick. Excellent warm colors and background reflections breaking up the pattern in the water. Nice head turn and eye contact. Well composed.

1 Like