Landing Gadwall

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I got this Gadwall coming in for a landing on a smooth as glass pond surface. I cloned out a lot of little “dots” from the water’s surface on the top half but left them in on the bottom part to help it to read as a water surface. BIF shots coming toward me are usually preferred but I’m okay with this going away angle for the view of the top of its wings and flared tail, and I can still see its head/eye. Yeah? No? D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/2500th, f 5.6, 500mm, ISO 1250, AI Clear, cropped to 2458 x 2716

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Awesome shot Dave! I would remove some of the floating debris dots around the actual duck’s wings. The remaining ones around the reflection look OK to me. Well done…Jim

An interesting shot in that it’s very difficult to see the water line. Pretty cool reflection but I agree with Jim about removing some of the junk in the water. Would be preferable if the duck was moving towards you as opposed to away from you. Nice clarity and light. Perhaps a little less blue saturation would whiten the wings and plumage a bit.

A very cool landing shot, Dave. The reflection is awesome. I’m not bothered by the little bit of debris left showing. While an incoming shot is more dramatic, this one works very well for my taste.

Yes, an interesting image given that there is no discernible water line. What I like is the nice view of the Gadwall’s wings, so for me, this view works well, particularly since the eye is visible. Nice capture.

Hi Dave
You just have to love it. The action, detail and reflection all work.
Peter