Getting to the Last Drop

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Tonight’s hummingbird visitors were wary and used the plant for cover. This one stayed about a millimeter from the flower opening and dove right in. I like to give the hummingbirds a curve ball to see how they handle a flower that they are not accustomed to and this Phygelius did not stop thiis first year ruby throated hummingbird.

Specific Feedback

How do you like the lighting? I used 5 flashes at 1/32 power and the shadows came out nice.

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 (1/200 sec at f22, ISO 1600) DeNoise, Crop for Comp, Midtone contrast enhancement, rubber stamp tool for dust bunny removal and one dog hair (How the heck did that happen! It was a Newfie hair (LOL))…Jim

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Jim, lighting looks great here. Flower and hummer are both tack-sharp, perfect frozen wing position, and shadow-free BG. Great flower and hummer position.
Love the little feathers sticking up on the back.

I agree Jim. This one is really really good. Nice work. Good light great detail.

This shot is a nemesis for me. It’s hard for me to get hummers to my garden and when I do, always the wrong light…so seeing your, I et to live vicariously through your lens. Thanks for a wonderful shot.

Super shot, Jim, and the background really complements it. Hummingbird hawk-moths sometimes end up with a detached flower head and their tongue threaded through it - then they have to shake or push it off. Seeing this guy, I wonder if they ever have a similar problem with loose flowers?

This is a real classic, Jim. Beautiful plant, great position on the hummingbird, nice wing position and those three little feathers popping out of the back are just priceless. Beautiful.

Hi Jim, Beautiful bird, plant, lighting, and background. Love the fully extended wing forward pose. Terrific.

I’ll add to the chorus of positive thoughts. Great lighting, pose, and detail, and composition.

Simply gorgeous!! You’ve got the flash dialed in and manage gorgeous setups and poses. I like the edge-on leaf that is drooping down mirroring the shape of the hummer but I have to wonder how it would look without the three leftmost leaves. A crop and a little bit of cloning would take care of them and minimize the blue area in the BG, which feels a little too prominent. The bird, flowers and BG are so gorgeously minimalist, I think that would strengthen the presentation.

Thank you @Diane_Miller , @Allen_Brooks , @Allen_Sparks , @Dennis_Plank , @Mike_Friel , @Chris_Calohan , @Ed_Williams , @SandyR-B and the @NPN_Editor for the EP. Two hummingbirds are still hitting the feeders and may make more attempts if they are still present this weekend. Fall weather has arrived and I expect that these two birds will be on their way to the Yucatan at sunrise…Jim