Ghostly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here is another oldie from the archives for this weeks challenge. That ghostly looking cloud; at least to me; caught my eye right away so I set up on the right side so as to make it appear as though it was peering around the iconic Nubble Light in York, ME.

I think this was taken about 1/2 hour after sunset so it was not totally dark yet. That plus the light at the lighthouse helped illuminate the scene fairly nicely. The 20 second exposure helped smooth out the water which I do like.

Specific Feedback

I guess my question for everyone would be; what do you see? Any suggestions or comments are always welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D200, Nikon 28-70 @ 35mm, f8 @ 20 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod.

3 Likes

Ed, this looks like an iconic shot of this lighthouse. Good work to get detail in both the signal light and the foreground rocks. I am chuckling because it took going to the larger view before I noticed the face in the sky and now I can’t stop seeing it… :grinning: The clarity throughout the view is quite striking.

1 Like

Ed, this is excellent, in my opinion. The lighting is really nice. It needs some wall space. :grinning:

1 Like

Ed, I agree with @Shirley_Freeman about clearing some wall space for this image. In addition to the clouds you mention, it’s the contrast between the mysterious shadows and the light of the lighthouse and surround that speaks to me. But before you hang this up, you may want to clone out the remnant of a telephone pole on the left edge. Nice image.

1 Like

Many thanks for your thoughtful comments and suggestions @Mark_Seaver, @Shirley_Freeman and @Larry_Greenbaum as they are always appreciated. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image.

@Mark_Seaver : When I noticed what appear to be eyes in your post"Troll Lurking" it made me think of this one.

@Shirley_Freeman : I am getting ready to make some prints and I may include this one with the others.
@Larry_Greenbaum : Funny you mentioned the pole as I just recently added this one to my website and my brother send me a text letting me know the same thing. It never hurts to have an extra set of eyes as I somehow I missed it.

1 Like

Ed, I really love this image even without the spooky presence. The light, atmosphere, the reflection, the water, all are top notch.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words @Michael_Lowe ; always appreciated.