Glow at the Bosque

This shot from Bosque Del Apache was captured while scouting the day before my last workshop at the refuge in late November 2021. This was captured at 4:47 PM, about 5 minutes before the sun dropped below the horizon. Saw this group of geese feeding in the field and was hoping for a few to fly around. Behind the trees in the background, there is a road where cars were headed out for the evening. This created a bunch of fine dust to rise in the air and that’s what that “misty” kind of look is. Dust… not mist. I was really happy with the few geese in the air and the cool backlight that streamed through some of their plumage.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus EM1-X
300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
Handheld

2 Likes

Beautiful backlighting on their tailfeathers and a super composition. But for me the best thing is the overall sunset glow, just enough not to obscure the flock and the dust.

Excellent, Keith, The result of the backlight on the geese is interesting and it really works with the sunset colors. The dust creates a great feel and makes it take quite a lot of looking to start seeing all the details in the image.

Hi Keith
You and Han have a lock on sun-set lighting. The dust and the four Geese taking flight really sell the end of the day. Nice work.
Peter

Really cool image Keith. It’s almost abstract in a way. There is detail but you have to hunt for it. The dust creates a perfect atmosphere and glow and the star burst on the left side is subtle but important. The backlit whites on the tail feathers stands out nicely and the background trees and brush really add to the image as do the foreground geese. Can’ think of a thing I’d change on this one. Very nice!