Going out together

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this two days ago at the botanical garden. When I saw this it grabbed me at once – the fallen leaf and the aging flower. I didn’t do any arranging or touch it.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 6.56.59 AM

No adjustments to the raw files. Focus stack in Zerene; into PS for very minor BG cleanup with 50% opacity cloning. Slight crop.

Very cool!! I like the juxtaposition of forms and color.

Those are falling all over the place here - basswood samaras. Samaras are modified leaves that help to spread tree seeds. The most commonly seen are the helicopter things maples make. Basswoods make them differently, but as you can see, they are attached to seeds. They get caught by the wind and can be blown quite far from the tree that made them. They are especially fun in snow.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith – I didn’t find a tag that ID’d the tree but will find out. It must be an Asian cousin, as the gardens are almost exclusively Asian natives, with a few CA natives interspersed.

I was back yesterday (the next day after this find) and got another shot with the same theme. I’ll post it in Macro.

Very interesting, Diane. I was going to go with seeds as well, though I’ve never seen quite this system (our deciduous trees are pretty limited around here except for ornamentals). I like the juxtaposition even more because we have the flower and seeds (albeit from another plant). Artistically, I kind of wish it had caught between the two right hand petals, but this still works.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank! And, @Kris_Smith, you were right – I was back there today and found the tag for the tree – it is Tilia amurensis, an Asian native, but Basswood is an American species, and Linden a European species.

I immediately thought Linden or lime tree, common in Europe - and excellent flowers for tea earlier in the year. As for this shot, the way the samara (thanks Kris!) curves over the lily’s stamens is very cool. Maybe an insect will come along and dislodge it, before the wind does. Great that you didn’t tidy this up!