Gold ripples

During a walk in the park close to my home I saw this reflection in a small pond: A bush with autumn-golden leaves with tree trunks behind.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome! I deliberately avoided to place the tree trunks vertically, to increase the dynamics of the image. Does that work, or should they be vertical instead (or even more diagonal)?

Technical Details

1/40, f/6.3, ISO 800, Olympus travel camera pen e-p7 with 75 mm (150 mm equiv.) lens, hand held

5 Likes

This is so cool, Ola. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Love this, Ola! The colors are so beautiful and you captured the ripples just right. I like the slight diagonal composition too. I agree with David that I wouldn’t change anything about it.

The image is very engaging. I really had to sit with it for a while and just enjoy it.

We could probably make conversation about Baroque and Sinister Angles, but I suspect, or rather believe, associations with these are cultural artifacts. In other words, they are language, and who knows if anyone really speaks this language.

For me personally, I generally get a different vibe from each one, and when I flip my images, one or the other feels right, and I don’t fuss over why. I have no idea. I just like one or the other.

In this one, a vertical line would feel quite different to me. It would stand like a statue, or look like swimming worms, or maybe like roots. I think that would make it feel less abstract, or more patterned. The angle breaks this vertical perfection and that is helping me see a whole and not parts. So I would not go vertical.

When I see it, I feel like I am floating to the surface of a pond. I think if it was rotated counter clockwise with a steeper angle, it would become even more abstract. But this might break the magic.

I would just play with the angle until it intuitively feels right and leave it at that.

Wow, this is really really nice. I love how the dark “tails” contrast with golden and white colors. I agree with @Michael_Jones that in such a case you can really good in many directions with how vertical the ripple effect should be and in this case the fact that they aren’t vertical certainly helps convey the feeling of floating on the surface.

@DvirBarkay, @Michael_Jones, @Vanessa_Hill and @David_Bostock thanks for your kind comments. I am glad that you liked that I did not go for the vertical more “perfect” choice. As you say, there are many different alternatives how to flip and rotate the image ending up with a different feel and level of abstraction.

1 Like

Really well done Ola! Wonderful patterns that draw my attention. I like the interaction of squiggly lines at the bottom and the mosaic like patterns up top. The diagonal lines work well so I wouldn’t try to make them vertical. I think the image would lose some impact if you did.

1 Like

@Alfredo_Mora thank you for your kind comments. Glad you liked the image.

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!

That was my first thought. :slight_smile: Just beautiful.

@Bonnie_Lampley thanks for your kind comments. Glad you liked the image. When posting the image I did not think about Rapunzel but Goldilocks, but finally chosed a more boring image name.

This looks great, Ola. The angled trees do a fine job of disguising that the dark lines are tree trunks and create a strong sense of movement. I see long flying dreadlocks in the ripples.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, glad you liked the image.

Wow! I really, really like this one. I think it’s excellent. Reminds me of Gustave Klimt even though he never did abstracts. My first impression is hair. But the dark strands take you on more ambiguous journeys.

@Igor_Doncov , thanks for your kind comments. Glad you liked the image.

This is really wild and wonderful! Great job, I love this as is.

@Tom_Nevesely thanks for your kind comment. glad you liked the image.

Don’t know how I missed this, Ola. Love . . .love . . love it. The ripples feel like a cross between glass and an abstract oil painting the likes of which Jackson Pollack would have done. Very exciting and mysterious at the same time. Very nicely seen.

Thanks @linda_mellor, I am very glad that you liked my image.