Golden Gate Fog

Can you take a unique image of something photographed hundreds, if not thousands, of times each day? Likely not, but I thought the composition with the square crop brought something a tad different.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the square crop with the diagonal composition bring anything new to the table for such an iconic landmark? Should photographs of the GGB even be posted at this stage?

Technical Details

GFX 50s II. f/11, 1/30, ISO 125. 70 mm with a 35-70mm 4.5-5.6 lens. Handheld.

1 Like

David, of course images of the GGB should be posted. And this is your shot, so your original composition. I like the B&W treatment, and the balance of the bridge with the rock in the lower left. I think it could use a bit more room on the right, but that would take away from the square frame.

How do you like the 50s II and that new lens? I started out with the original 50s then moved to the GFX 100. Terrific cameras all around.

1 Like

Yes to the golden Gate bridge, not feeling the square crop though.

In this case I’m kind of looking for a subject, is it the bridge? The rock on the left?

I looked through the image and found some interesting areas, hold on let me figure out how to post them…

There you go, I screen shotted with my phone to try and explain what I’m going on about. I think each of these portions works very well by themselves, one being an intriguing seaside image and the other an artistic shot of the golden Gate bridge (yeah it’s a weird crop, but that’s how I’m seeing it on my phone)

That being said:

One HUGE caveat. A lot of times things look different printed, and even more different printed BIG. I can totally see this looking great in the square format on the wall where you can envision yourself stepping into the scene, or getting lost in some detail or another in the scene.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, David. I’m loving the 50s II. I just got the 100-200 lens and that is just amazing. I’m still getting used to the slower pace of medium format, but I am enjoying the experience. I can’t say I have too many negative things to say about it. I guess the only thing that comes to mind is the AF speed. But then again, I didn’t get the camera for action shots. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the different perspectives, Andronik. I see where you were going but I think I still like the square crop. It feels unique, and more importantly, like me. I am anxious to print it out and see if your hunch is correct.

I love the black and white treatment on this image. It adds to the mood. Should GGB images be taken and posted. Heck yeah! In person it is such an icon that you almost have to take a picture. To get something unique is indeed, very difficult. I have never seen an image of the GGB that looks like this image so in that respect, I think you did well here. I’m not a fan of the square crop but I also agree that in part, that’s what makes this image so unique. I feel that everything is a little too tight. I feel like the top of the bridge, even though you can’t see it, extends beyond the frame creating tension. I also think that the bridge is a little too tight to the right edge of the frame and I would like to see a little bit more breathing room at the bottom and on the left edge of the frame. I love that there are 2 roads leading the eye into the picture. On the other hand, maybe the tightness works in that I’m intrigued by what’s about of the frame. It makes me curious which is a good thing. In the end, this is definitely a unique take on the GGB.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, David! I think you nailed it on the head. It does feel like things are too tight, but at the same time, it seems to work for some reason.

I think the square crop works fine with the seastack anchoring the left side.
Nice B & W…