The Golden Gate at its best

This bridge is one of my nemeses – I have found it impossible to do justice to from any angle. My favorite view is with fog is coming in, but that’s so hard to time it’s almost random luck. The best I ever saw it was as I was taking friends from Europe to catch an international flight home with little time to spare and they begged to stop here for a last look. The fog was glorious and I had no camera. They were disappointed they couldn’t see much of the city.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D2, Canon 70-200 at 85, f/9.5, ISO 200, 1/1000 sec. Reprocessed in the new LR version and into PS for minor contrast tweaks.

6 Likes

I like this. The isolation is intriguing and I like that you didn’t desaturate or do any extreme exposure to enhance the drama. It’s natural. One of these days on our trips to Cali, we’ll have to go over this icon. Every time I see a photo of it I think of Vertigo.

Your subtle processing has really paid off. The atmosphere is wonderful. It’s nice to see just a part of this very famous bridge.

Diane,
This is beautiful. What is SF without fog, anyway? :grinning:

I also like the way two triangles appear opposite each other. The top triangle (pointing up) formed by the bridge span, and the bottom triangle (pointing down) formed by the clouds/fog. Serendipitous!

A very classic view of the GG bridge that is recognized around the world. The fog provides a perfect crop or vignette if you will of the scene, Diane… :sunglasses:

Diane, this is a great look at the Golden Gate in fog. The fog does a fine job of isolating the one bridge tower. Having clouds and what I think is the ocean behind it add well to the setting. You had to be fairly high to get this view.

Thanks everyone! @Kris_Smith, don’t try to drive over it during commute hours – which pretty well correlates with daytime. All day. @Mark_Seaver, this is the view from Conzelman Road on the Marin Headlands, NW of the bridge, where there are several viewpoints. You are looking across the bay toward the N end of the city and on across toward Oakland.

This was the view 5 minutes earlier.

What a great image of an iconic bridge. Nothing to improve here!

CLASSIC Diane! Just Classic. This bridge is an absolute nemeses of mine as well. As you have shown, the weather changes VERY quickly here. I do like the muted tones of this but I also think this could make a great Black and White making it a little bit moodier. Just a thought.