Gray Fox, Male

I photographed this guy in my back yard while seated in the grass on an overcast day. I was glad he was looking in the direction he is, due to the fact he is missing much of his right ear. I suspect he lost it in a territorial dispute with a red fox, who often hangs around my property, as well.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 240mm, f/8, 1/180 sec., ISO 1250, Hand Held. Normal Processing in Canon DPP and PSE 12. I did add some selective sharpening to the fox.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Cool pose and nice backdrop, you may darken the foreground if you like.

1 Like

Thanks, Jagdeep. Yes, I agree it’s a bit bright!

Terry,

Well done. With one ear missing, this shows that nature can be brutal and yet life goes on. Photographing the fox while seated on the ground is a big plus for this image. You could darken the FG and that should put more emphasis on the fox. Good job on this photo and congrats.

1 Like

Thanks, Jim. I see this guy often - pretty much every day - and the loss of most of that ear doesn’t seem to hinder him. He looks very healthy. As for taking the shot sitting on the ground, I can thank @JRajput, and others, for that tip. Again, many thanks for your comments.

1 Like