Gray Foxes

Big and small are relative terms, right? The adult male Gray Fox is only slightly larger than a domestic house cat, so we might imagine how small are his kits.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/11, ISO 640, EV -0.5 step, 1/500 sec. Processed in Canon DPP and PSE 2020 for exposure and color.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

So hard not to just loves these images of little ones Terry. Did you mention earlier you have a den around you? Lucky you to be able to enjoy them. . .and photograph them. I like how the “kids” are slightly separated from the mom and their beautiful coats. Nicely seen and captured.

Yes, they must have a den close as I see them often. I’ve been blessed to watch them for the past 16 years, or so. Thanks!

Terry: What a nice looking family. I’ve seen very few foxes in all my travels and have exactly zero images of them so this is a treat. Well done.>=))>

Thanks, Bill. It’s always a treat for me, no matter how often I see them. I hope you get to see and photograph some one day.

This is a great family portrait, Terry! I think it’s one of your best shots of these foxes on that rock. They are all posing quite nicely the light is excellent. I like that the cubs mouths are open. Good choice for the challenge also!

1 Like

Thanks, Gary. This is one of my favorites, as well even though I was dealing with some harsh light. I would often see the kits alone, or the adults alone, but it was something of a rarity to see them together.

Terry, young foxes are always fun to watch, and often amazingly approachable. How nice that they’ve denned nearby for so long. This is a good looking shot, with all three in excellent condition. Our local red foxes have a lot of mange and are not nearly this colorful, plus their den has usually been under one of the greenhouses at a nearby nursery…

Thanks, Mark. The gray foxes are much more approachable then the red foxes here - probably because they have been around here a lot longer. I’m sorry to hear your local foxes are not in good health. It’s always painful to watch wildlife suffer and not be able to help them.