Great Blue catches shad + Repost

Saw this Great Blue Heron fishing recently at a local park.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I chose this image because I liked the fish flipping up like it did and the somewhat eye to eye contact here. I was a little concerned because of the relatively slow shutter speed for an action shot but I think it turned out okay without apparent motion blur.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/640s, handheld

Wow! My attention is certainly on the birds eye and the fish. Great technique to get no motion blur. I also love the harmony in the colours of the bird and the water. I am always amazed by the size of prey herons can handle…this tells that story very well.

1 Like

I’d have picked this one, too, for the same reasons - it has an immediacy and a bit of terror for that fish. The shutter speed looks to have been fast enough. Whites look good, too and I like how much of the bird and the fish is in focus. It might need a bit of a CCW rotation though - it seems to be listing under the load!

1 Like

Allen, this is outstanding. The eye and the position/action of the fish elevate this to an exceptional behavioral image.

My only thought on cropping is to wonder if you have just a little more along the bottom. Someone told me once that even if you can’t see their legs/feet, you should allow room for them to be imagined. I know Heron’s legs are relatively long, so to me (and probably just me) the crop feels like the legs are cut off…that’s a total minor thing though.

I love the action you caught here. Well done.

1 Like

Hi Allen. I like your choice of this frame. The side of the fish and eye of the heron really draw and hold my attention. I see where @Kris_Smith is coming from on the rotation-all the reflections in the water seem slanted. I thought about the virtual feet as well, but decided I didn’t really miss them in this image.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments!
@Dennis_Plank @Kris_Smith @David_Bostock Here is a rework trying to take your advice into account. What do you think?

1 Like

Nice improvement, Allen. An excellent image.

1 Like

Awesome, Allen. A terrific winner.

1 Like

Oh wow, Allen, I love this shot. Down low and at eye level. That flip upward of the fish tells me the fish is still alive and trying to get out of his awful situation. I like how the colors of the BG mimic the colors on the GB’s legs. Excellent shot. I will add + Repost so others will know that you made changes.

1 Like

Very nice, Allen - love the action captured and the colors. The repost I like best, as I was going to make the remark on the legs, but that has already been addressed. Wonderful image! Cheers, Hans