Great Blue Heron at Allens Fresh

Light windy day, early in the morning off from the Potomac and Wicomico Rivers. Allens Fresh is in Charles County, Maryland

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5ds-r with 14x70 lens at f-9, 1/400sec., and iso640.

elwise44

Really strong graphics from the ripples and the heron’s pose in this image, Wayne. To my eye, the ripples seem to overpower the heron a bit, so I’d be tempted to reduce the contrast on them somewhat, if possible. The blues in the heron look rather unnatural to me as well. While they’re called Great Blue Heron’s I never seem to see much blue in them.

This is different. I like it. I can see what Dennis is saying and i suppose you could play with it a bit. But the contrast in the ripples is part of the attraction so have to be careful. You could also lighten up the bird’s head a bit. .I would look at rotating it a bit clockwise, the shadows don’t quite line up. I would also look at a pano crop taking out more of the right side than left to lose some of the flat water. Neat idea and good eye. It looks like you were pretty close with a 14x70 lens.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post any changes tomorrow. Sorry , I had both lens but it was my 100x400 lens used.
Wayne

RePost to crop left side, lower blue color and lighten waves in order to make better separation .
Wayne

Hi John
You could have almost gone with B&W on this shot. I like the second post better. Nice concept.
Peter

It almost looks as if you did go to black and white, Wayne. Actually, I think B&W would work except the darn bill seems to disappear in the ripples. You didn’t accidentally desaturate all the colors instead of just the blues did you?

Repost for original RAW file.

Thanks Dennis, I posted this RAW file to show how the original file looked .
Wayne

Wow! That was an amazingly monochrome scene, wasn’t it? Looking at your original scene, I think you might want to look at a looser composition with maybe even a hint of the near and far shores. That would give you more of the cool water and put less emphasis on the heron, which you’re really pushing to make large enough in your current crop.