Great Blue Heron at Sunrise

I got up really early to shoot the sunrising but saw this good looking fella and spent the morning with him instead. Early morning low light can be tough to shoot in but these birds stand so still waiting for a fish, it’s almost as if they know they are helping you.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all is appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all is appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony a7Riii, Sony 70-300, ISO 640, f5.6, 1/250 sec.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Light is quite pleasing here. Effective pose. It might be possible to lighten up the darker areas to reveal more detail.

1 Like

I love the light on the water, Andrew. If you can lighten up the heron a bit to reveal some more details in him, I think it would improve the image, but if that doesn’t work, maybe darken him to a silhouette? I don’t know if that would work or not, just a thought. I do like his pose, and the orange light on the water. Nice shot. So many times I have gone with certain subjects in mind, and soon find myself shooting something entirely different. That is one of the nice things about nature photography, we never know what to expect.

1 Like

I like what you’ve done here. I think the balance between the heron and the back light of the sunset works nicely. It feels very natural and I wouldn’t opt for more light in the bird, nor go the other way and create a silhouette. I can easily imagine standing there viewing this scene and the light balance would look very much like this. Certainly challenging to get it right in camera and/or post, but I think you’ve done well.

1 Like

Very good, Andrew. I like the composition and the pose and it looks like you nailed the focus on the heron. The sunrise reflected on the water is great. I do like the balance you chose between the brightness of the heron and the water, but I also think this image lends itself to a lot of variation depending on the mood you want to create. It would be a really fun image to play with in post processing.

1 Like

I like it. I think your version captures the mood of the hour very well.

1 Like

@David_Schoen @Shirley_Freeman @Keith_Bauer @Dennis_Plank @Allen_Brooks Thank you all very much for your feedback and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it!