Great-tailed Grackle

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen one of these birds. I live in pretty dense woods, where these birds don’t normally hang out. About the size of a crow, though scrawnier-looking. This big bird certainly took me by surprise when he flew up above the feeder just a few feet from me. I believe this is a juvenile male.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM @ 190mm, f/8, 1/90 sec., ISO 1250. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020.

1 Like

Outstanding pose and head turn. Superb background and comp. These birds are quite noisy at times. The diagonal perch and open beak are real positives,!

Super portrait, Terry! I love the shimmering green background, providing good contrast for this dark bird. I’m glad you were able to show off the little bit of blue in its feathers…something I didn’t notice when I saw my first Great-tailed Grackle. Boy, it was so fun just to sit and listen to their unique and varied calls and songs.

I like the pose with the open beak. Good detail. The bird and perch form a nice ‘X’ pattern. I like the variegated background as well. Nice capture.

Hi Terry
This could be the opening for any medieval move, warning the local of coming danger. You did a very good job on the exposure. The blues and grays are clearly defined. I like the head turn and eye contact.
Pete

Thank you @David_Schoen @Mark_Muller @Allen_Brooks and @peter for stopping by, and for your comments and critiques. This is certainly a striking, if not beautiful, bird.