Green Heron

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D7200; 100-400 mm @400 mm; ISO 400; f/7.1; 1/1250 sec.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great setting and how the bird is placed in it, and the use of color. The down side is how the white and brown stick dissect the head and beak. TY

Thanks Steven. I do wish I had a cleaner background.

All things about this composition are excellent-except the white reed Steven mentioned. Unfortunately it detracts from the image in a negative way. I could suggest that moving your physical position to the left might have helped, but that not have been an option. The only thing left to recover this would be to remove the broken stalk in post.

Thanks Chuck, There were a lot of obstructions between me and this bird so moving my viewpoint wasn’t an option. That seems like a lot to remove in post. I have no experience doing that either.

A beautiful bird and nice pose. Agree on the distraction being the white intersecting reed.

Nicholas, it’s unfortunate to have obstructions like this, but like others like the Bitterns, these guys are in their habitat. You didn’t mention details other than shooting specs, so I’m not sure if these are close to you. But I have found that even these shy herons tend to get acclimated to your presence given a little time and patience.

Thanks Bill, I’m sure if I hung around for a while I would have got a better shot. This wildlife refuge is close to my home. I go there quite often but usually for short periods of time. I hope I’ll run into him again.