Happy Couple

Well, I’m not sure if they were so happy, as I’d just transferred them from a secluded spot beside the light trap to these attractive Gaillardias. After posing they moved to safer spots in the garden. They are both Clanis bilineata, two-lined velvet hawkmoths.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not sure if using both Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen causes any problems, but I can’t spot any here. When using both plug-ins, I dialed down the sharpening and noise reduction respectively, using one at the start and one at the end of post-processing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + 105mm macro lens f20 1/200 ISO 1000

After ACR, applied Topaz Denoise, then selected the two moths and applied a little Highlight reduction and adjusted Curves slightly in PS. Finished with Topaz Sharpen.

2 Likes

That’s a really neat idea to get them on matching flowers! Really neat looking moths! Are they about 6 inches wingspan? I looked them up and that’s about what I found! Really nice studio portrait!

A nice matching set, Mike. I’m sure they were happy once their photo shoot was done! Very creative.

They look big and built for trouble. Good planning Mike. Nice setting to get the photo. I don’t see anything wrong or blemishes from pp’n. Well done.

I really like this image, with the contrast between the colorful flowers and the bleach moths. All technical look great what I could see.

Very accommodating moths you’ve got there, Mike. I rarely get anything with wings to hold still for a second. The symmetrical composition fit well with the flowers and the moths. I also don’t see any issues with your processing, even when I zoom in, it looks good on my monitor. Great idea and nicely done.

Thank you for the reassuring comments. Yes, it’s one of the larger Sphingidae, 6 inch wingspan sounds about right.

Nice capture of these twins, Mike - flowers AND moths. I don’t see any irregularities from using the Topaz products. BTW, Gaillardia is the state flower of Oklahoma. Here, it’s usually called ‘Indian Blanket Flower’.

I didn’t know that, Terry - but then I live 24 hours from Tulsa (by plane)! I guess the bright colours are used in the making of blankets. Interesting info. Thanks for your comments.

1 Like

Mike: Striking image of the moths and I’m curious how you handled them. Really well done. >=))>

Thanks, Bill. With the larger hawk-moths, I encourage them gently onto a stick and move them to a suitable site for the photo. Then I make sure they are left in a safe secluded spot after the shot.