Sphinx Moth II

Another view of the Sphinx Moth I saw last week. This is the best view I have of the colors and patterns of the upper wing. I clipped the front of the closer flower petals so I did an intentional crop further into the flower.

Canon 7D2, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 1.4 x TC II
ISO 640, f5.6, 1/5000s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is an excellent capture of one of these fast moving moths, Allen. Wonderful sharpens where it needs to be. For me, the crop works. The flower isn’t the subject, but we see what the moth is being drawn to, and I think that makes it nice. I hope to get back out to the Botanical Gardens soon (just been so hot here in NC), and try some of the settings I see you using, and see if I can get one in flight. My reflects may not be quite fast enough, even though the camera is. :smiley: You are really encouraging me to try though. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Your crop works well here, Allen. The colors in the moth’s wings show very well and the moth’s body is nicely sharp. Love the “dangling” proboscis.

1 Like

Allen, this is such an excellent shot of this interesting critter. I saw one for the first time recently, and it really looked like a hummingbird. I guess 1/5000 is what it takes to get a really sharp shot. I like the comp and it doesn’t bother me that the flower is somewhat out of focus.

1 Like

Allen: Your moth flight shots are working better for me than the butterflys because the moths are approaching the flowers instead of leaving. Your SS served you really well. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Allen,

I like this one better than your previous version. The pose is more dynamic and the important stuff is nice and sharp. Well done…Jim