Harassment

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

For the last few years I’ve watched the bluebirds and violet-green swallows fight it out for this nesting box. The bluebirds would sit on the box as the swallows dive bombed them. I like the angry look on the male in the second shot and the female seems to be flashing the “V” for victory sign in the last one. Unfortunately, this is probably premature as the swallows have occupied this box the last couple of years.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated. I could have used a tripod as it was pretty much fire away when I thought the swallows were coming into view. These were a couple of shots that looked half way decent.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 420 mm; 1/4000 at f10; ISO 1600 (first) and 2000.

Hi Allen, interesting interaction you captured between these birds. f10 and a fast shutter speed was a good choice to render the birds reasonably sharp. The battles down here for nesting boxes are usually between bluebirds and chickadees.

1 Like

A nice series, Allen. Detail looks good in all the images. We have the same issues in this area. On the prairie preserve behind us they put up boxes in groups of three maybe 25 feet from one another in hopes of creating coexistence between the two swallow species and the Bluebirds. I’m not sure it worked very well, but lately the Bluebirds have had more nesting success than the Tree Swallows-might be climate change, but our backyard Tree Swallows are doing reasonably well.

1 Like

This was a fun sequence to view Allen and you have just the right amount of images to tell the story. All are pretty sharp with no distracting background. Time for some low-income housing in your area :wink:.

1 Like