Hästhagen beech wood (rework)

REWORK BASED ON COMMENTS

ORIGINAL POSTING

This is my fourth spring image from the Hästhagen beech wood in Skåne, Sweden. The other ones are Wood anemone, Old and new and Leaves on fire

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

4 Likes

The spacing of the foreground trees creates a nice rhythm to the composition. There is a little bit of overlap between the two trees to the left of center, but I know that is often hard to avoid and I don’t find it to be distracting. I also like the contrast between the dark trunks and the bright leaves. For my tastes I find the leaves to be a bit to bright and saturated, but this is otherwise nicely done!

There is a sense of airiness about this image. There trees feel as though they are suspended somehow. I’m not sure what conveys this feeling but it might be the bright yellows. Personally I would prefer a different tint of yellow. Less green and more towards the orange. But that’s just a preference. I would crop out the narrow tree along the left edge.

1 Like

I get a sense of fragility from the image which I enjoy. The spacing between the clusters of leaves and trees really works to balance the image to my eye. Makes me feel light and airy! I do agree with @Igor_Doncov in that the tint of yellow is a bit strong or something and seems to bleed into the trees themselves.

I love the strong vertical trunks and the diagonal created by the leaves. I think moving the WB a little away from yellow would be interesting, and probably bring the trunks more neutral.

I love this image, Ola! I really love the colors and the way the foliage seems to be dancing around the trees! It makes me feel like I’m looking into a JR Tolkien book in the woodland fairy forest.

1 Like

I really like this one, Ola. I would agree with the above comments about the yellows looking too saturated for my tastes. No other suggestions, quite enjoying it.

Agree with everyone’s enthusiasm for this one. Such a beautiful scene and so representative of spring in the forest. I also think the leaves are a bit bright and saturated so you could play with that a little and see if it brings the foliage in line with the subtle serenity of the tree trunks. This could be a wall-hanger for sure.

This is beautiful. I love the mood here.
I second @Igor_Doncov suggestion of cropping the left tree out.

1 Like

Great use of backlighting in a forest Ola. And I like the composition, your spacing of the beech trunks is very well done in particular.

In terms of processing, I agree with the general drift of some of the the other comments.I would suggest toning down the saturation of the yellow leaves, and i would cool down the beech trunks, the overall image feels a bit too warm for my preference. While backlit beech leaves can look like this, the warmth in the tree trunks is a bit too much for my taste.

Really nice Ola. You have arranged the trees nicely, and the diagonal of the leaves creates a nice flow in the image. I also quite like the spots on the trees, which add a nice bit of extra texture.

As others have said, I find the color to be a bit too saturated as well. The other thing I noticed is what looks like a very out-of-focus branch at the very bottom center of the image. Once I saw it, I kept getting drawn back to it. It might be worth cloning that out.

@Mario_Cornacchione, @Ed_McGuirk, @Igor_Doncov, @Craig_Moreau, @Brian_Schrayer, @joaoquintela, @Kris_Smith, @Harley_Goldman, @Vanessa_Hill, @Diane_Miller, @Igor_Doncov and @Brian_Schrayer thanks for your kind comments and advice. Your advice is very much appreciated, for this posting and others it is of a great help to improve as a photographer.

I will adjust the yellow and and eventually crop as proposed, and post an update during next week.

@Mario_Cornacchione, @Ed_McGuirk, @Igor_Doncov, @Craig_Moreau, @Brian_Schrayer, @joaoquintela, @Kris_Smith, @Harley_Goldman, @Vanessa_Hill, @Diane_Miller, @Igor_Doncov and @Brian_Schrayer an update is now posted at the top.

The new version brings out the nuance you captured in the scene with your careful framing and cropping. So much more effective than the brighter foliage version. At least to me. Great job.

Yes, this took care of the overall yellowish cast. Lovely!

This looks much better in my opinion. Good work.

1 Like

The rework is very well done. Love it. With the small crop and yellow adjustment it is one of my favorites. Thank you.

The re-post is much improved with still vibrant, but much more natural looking color. This was definitely worth your effort!

The re-post works really well, Ola!

@Brian_Schrayer, @BenM, @Igor_Doncov, @Diane_Miller and @Kristen_Beck thanks for responding on my rework. The rework became much better than my first posting. Case closed!