Sunlit beech wood (updated)

Updated 2

Updated

Torups beech wood is one of the most popular recreational areas near my hometown Malmö, Sweden. It is a very beautiful place in the spring.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

f/16, 1/800, ISO 400, Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 lens at 43 mm (86 mm equiv.), Olympus OM-D E-M1X camera

3 Likes

Beautiful indeed, this is gorgeous, Ola. The springtime green leaves seem to have a life of their own with the backlighting and I love the sunstar and it’s placement in the scene. The greens, blues and yellows all compliment one another perfectly in this woodland scene. I can see why you enjoy this area so much. This is being super picky, but I would clone out a few of the smaller bright areas about 3/4’s of the way up the tree silhouette on the right side of the frame. Wonderful image.

This just feels so alive for me Ola. The backlit greens and yellows contrast nicely with the blue sky. I really love the smaller leaves in the background. To me, they are what make this so inviting. Very nice star burst effect as well. The blacks seem a little bit dark but maybe that’s the intention here. I can see that but just wonder what it would look like to add just a small bump in exposure to the blacks.

The light here is really special. I like the concept of bringing out this color and letting the branches go black. However, the black can get a bit overwhelming, so maybe cropping some of it from the right side would make it less present.

Ner spring leaves are a great subject to try backlit shots, very nicely done Ola !!

I especially like how the beech leaves are “twinned” where you have two layers of leaves being backlit, and end up with both a lighter and darker one in the pair. That is a very unusual, but visually interesting look.

I agree with Tony, when shooting backlit trees it’s often a good idea to let the branches go to silhouette, but that dark tree trunk on the right carries more visual weigh than it deserves. You could fully or partially crop it away and pull more interest into the center of the image.

@David_Haynes, @Ed_McGuirk, @Tony_Kuyper and @Ed_Lowe thanks for your kind comments.

At the top I have posted an update (updated 2) following your good advise to crop some of the blacks to the right.

It was the small leaves that draw my attention in the field, to me it is like the glowing leaves are “raining” down from the sun. The two layers of leaves being backlit giving the light/dark pair was why I decided to finally post the image.

Beautiful. The square format was right for this comp. I’m not sure the crop was necessary.

Igor, thanks for your kind comment.

This is very nice,
love the mood of the picture, the light and the order you were able to get to the composition.

Thanks @joaoquintela.