Hazy Day

I really wanted to tread lightly in post processing this image. While it is a big sky, what I wanted to share in this picture was the hazy, lazy, calm-before-the-slowly-building-summer-storm feel that was so much a part of this moment. I am most interested to hear your impressions or how you may be affected by this picture, but any other comments on colour, composition etc. are always welcome.

Is this a composite: No

4 Likes

Kerry:

The subtleties in the tonal gradation qualities of the sky really make this image work well. The evergreen trees and islands break up the regularity of the sky and water to create a stunning composition. Very enjoyable to look at.

I love the pastel colors. The slightly darker lower part above the trees and the darker right side signal a coming storm. Very moody image.

Lovely, Kerry. This, at least for me, has that “calm before the storm. . .but I sure hope the storm passing us by so that we can still enjoy the moment!” feel. Very nicely done.

Nice mood and scene, Kerry. I can smell the rain and feel the air crackling. I would lose the human elements, but they are small and minor in the big picture. Processing looks really good.

I also really like the mood in this image. I can just feel the humidity in the air and the anticipation of the coming storm.

I’m kind of with Harley on this one…when we get a sky like this, it’s usually followed by either heat lightning or a hot and almost wet wind…I can feel it on my skin now.

I enjoy the composition, with sky, land, and reflections all working together. Maybe because I am a west coast guy, but without your narrative I don’t get summer storm. Seems like a delightful sunrise. Maybe if the distant trees were a bit less vibrantly green, and if the right hand sky/water were more brooding with contrast or de-saturation, the storm might seem more convincing.

What a magnificent sky. The light and colors are sublime. I’m with Dick, in that I don’t get the idea of a coming storm. It feels like a clearing storm, perhaps because of the beautiful warm colors. The color doesn’t speak to me of a coming storm, but that probably my California perspective.

I agree with @Bonnie_Lampley and @Dick_Knudson - this photo conjures up peace and calm for me without the foreboding. The right side would have to be much darker (in Korea!) for any suggestion of a storm. I particularly like your use of frames (here and elsewhere). I don’t usually use them, but you have the knack of adding to the mood with them.

@David_Schoen , @Jim_Gavin , @linda_mellor , @Harley_Goldman , @Tom_Nevesely , @Chris_Calohan , @Dick_Knudson , @Bonnie_Lampley , @Mike_Friel - Thank you all for your thoughtful comments , I appreciate your taking the time.

I keep comparing the pants off image with the pants on and I prefer this one, the pants on image by a very slight margin. It’s beauty is more subtle, and I appreciate that. It’s also a much simpler composition. But the other image is extremely well done and is not a typical sunset image. I guess it depends on your mood and the type of person you are.

Thanks, as always, for your carefully considered thoughts, Igor. I am very appreciative of your approach to photography and what it means to make art.

1 Like