Head shot of the week

Crow

Specific Feedback Requested

What if anything can be done with the highlights?
Does anything need to be done?

Technical Details

tech details lost in space

1 Like

HI David
Photographing Crows and Black Birds, present contrast changes and I this shot works. The highlights help expand the depth of the blacks feathers and eye. Nice work.
Peter

Hi David. I think you can get a bit more out of it. I tried a simple levels adjustment, pulling the right slider in until I hit the edge of the curve, then adjusting the middle slider until I liked the results. Not a lot different from what you posted, but a bit. I also cleaned up what looked like a cloning artifact along the top of the head.

Very nice feather detail both in the whites and blacks. Excellent portrait.

Birds can be very difficult to work with, you did an excellent job on this one, the detail is stunning.

Another great headshot of the week, David. I think the blacks are too bright and the light could be brought down like @Dennis_Plank did. The blacks look much more natural in the revision. You were able to capture terrific detail and a very pleasing background.

Nice! Shiny blacks in sun are difficult. Did you do all you could in raw conversion, in the way of balancing Exposure, Shadows and Highlights?

It looks just a tad over-sharpened – an easy fix.