Hello

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Shot at a Nature Park near Portland Oregon. First time shooting birds.

Technical Details

Canon R5, 70 - 200 mm L, 1/640 @ f5.6 @ 200 mm. ISO 2000 Handheld, Topaz Denoise.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Hello @Danny_Laureys, what a wonderful post. Great detail, great color, nice pose, I love the tree, prefer the first shot, but like the eye contact and the BG in the second one too. It is good to see your work since I’d been gone for several years and remember your work from before.

Welcome back, Danny! These are stunning!! Technically excellent and a wonderful subject well-presented. I love the first for the coy look and the second for the hint of environment. Don’t make me choose a favorite!

I hope to see more of your work here! These are enchanting!!

Hi Danny,

Both images are excellent, but the first one is the best in my opinion. The lighting is dark, soft, but implies quiet solitude The lighting on the head and surrounding dark BG puts this one over the top. The tight crop does not bother me as it brings in the owl for closer examination. Awesome…Jim

Hi Danny, I like both of these images. The tight crop for a good look at the owl’s plumage, etc and the second more for a sense of place where these guys are found. Well done.

Both images are excellent, Danny. Great first try at Avian images and I hope you get the bug. I’d probably have shaved a bit off the right side of the square crop to decenter the bird a trifle, but I know lots of people are really liking the square format these days. The subdued lighting on the closeup with just a hint of sun coming through is wonderful-portrait style work. That kind of light is something we all hope for and rarely get. While the light in the wider image is a bit more even it still is directional enough to provide some nice modeling. Well done on both of these.

I had thought about taking some off the left side of the square crop, to maybe about an 8x10 but decided not to suggest it. But looking at them again, I think it would balance the composition nicely. I also wonder how the second one would look with a very slightly cooler WB, to match the color of the first.

Nice image. Sharp. Agree with the others