Hideaway + Repost

Sony A77
Sony DT55-200 @ 135mm
ISO 400, 1/320 @ f8

One of the great joys of cruising Alaska on a small ship (60 passengers) was anchoring every night in some out of the way inlet or fjord and then exploring the area by kayak the next morning. Hoping to convey the scale of the area with one of our shipmates near the shoreline. All comments welcome.

=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really cool the way the color of the Kayaker works with the color of the sun on the trees and the cliff face. Love the sense of scale as well.

The lone kayaker glinting in the sun does an outstanding job of conveying the scale here, Bill.

Bill,

Kayaker of course makes the image and tells a story. Terrific use of scale here isolating the kayaker against the giant mountain - and tall trees too. And I just now noticed the angle of the light and now it’s catching the tops of the trees and right on down to the yellow kayak (and the timing of the raising of the paddle makes a difference too!)

Lon

Superb composition here. It really does convey the depth of scale quite well. From a technical aspect, I think there is a bit of a green cast or white balance issue and you might benefit from up 0.2° counterclockwise rotation.

Great view and perspective with the kayaker. I would agree with both of David’s suggestions, especially on the blue/green cast.

This really has a big magnificent feel for me. The sun kissed tree tops, mountain side and the kayaker are spot on bonus for size :raised_hands: Beautiful!

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the color cast. Here’s an adjustment which I think does help.

In Much better and the kayak still stands out ! In fact it now does a better job of mirroring the Golden trees on the left side of the image.

I love this scene, Bill! The vertical composition works perfectly as it really magnifies the relative size difference between the kayaker and the cliffs! The light in the scene is excellent also and the color corrected version makes it even nicer. Great choice for the challenge and an excellent shot!