Hovering Over Haystack

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Not your typical view of Haystack Rock at Canon Beach. At first I thought it was going to be a tough day for flying but the winds were light and the light helped bring out the details in the rocks and the surf. I liked the BG sky as well. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

DJI Mini 3 Pro
ISO 100, 1/80 @ f1.7, CPL

2 Likes

Wonderful!! That’s quite a view – I love the lines of breaking waves leading to the softness of the distant bluffs. The sky is perfect!!

I agree with Diane in all regards. A fine image.

Yeah, lots of shots of that, but i dont think ive ever seen one from the air. I really like how the perspective and how that horizon seems to just go on forever. Nice use of portrait orientation.

Bill, the color in the foreground water is great and the view does go on forever. I am intrigued because the lower half “feels tilted” while the distand bits seem more level…probably the novel perspective.

What a view Bill. The beach seems to go on forever and that cloud laden sky is amazing! My only suggestion; and I know this is really being picky; would be to have a little separation between Haystack Rock and the smaller one; toward the top; which has merged with it. Beautifully done.

What a nice different image of this iconic location/subject, Bill! The light was perfect to allow so many details to be presented, and I like the portrait orientation as it gives us a sweeping feeling up the beach. I agree with @Ed_Lowe about getting separation between the two sea stacks; it’s a small thing but can make a significant difference in the overall impact. That being said, I know it’s tricky when flying to see your compositions on the controller, and this image has enough ‘wow’ impact to withstand that little merger As for @Mark_Seaver 's comment about the tilt, I believe it is the wide angle lens on the drone, causing a bit more distortion in the foreground. Not an expert in drones/lenses by any means but a friend has one and I have seen this before.

I really enjoy this alternative view of a familiar geologic feature. Not one I’ve seen before so it intrigues me. I also really like the multiple long arcs of surf and coastline through the frame and the clouds in the BG. Pretty amazing you were able to find a calm day!

Different times of day would be interesting for what low tide reveals from this elevation. I would also be interested in dramatic direct sunset light since the shape of Haystack is lost to me in the shadows and dark rock. Also, it may be a personal preference but I’d also prefer to see clear separation rather than overlap among the various stacks.

Thanks for showing another side of Haystack.

Matt: Thanks for your insights and suggestions. This was not quite full low tide but close. Most of the time Haystack is not accessible from the beach like it shows here. You can see the high tide line up next to the shore line.

Good color scheme and dynamics. Just the right shooting moment and shutter speed. Image comp also nice. I would have added a little structure to the clouds with e.g. Nik Color efex and darken the top clouds a little to balance the whole

@Bill_Fach This is a great, dramatic perspective on iconic Haystack Rock and the Needles. I like the moody feel of the image and the tide line looks just right to me. As I have discovered with my Mavic 3 Classic, the still images SOOC have quite a bit of distortion. In this case, I believe there is significant pincushion distortion leading to a curved horizon. Also, I second @jorma’s suggestion to increase the contrast and color in the sky – and/or crop it slightly. Also, the main rock looks very dark compared with the rest of the scene. Maybe selectively lighten the rocks just a bit with a luminosity mask?