Hummer taking a quick rest

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any that you have.

While out photographing the hummingbirds this morning, this one decided to take a quick rest on the stem of the Coral Bells flower. She was only there for about a second so I’m happy I was able to capture the pose.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5D Mark IV
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/250, f/18, ISO 400

4 flashes all at 1/16 power.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Keith, this is lovely! Maybe the head angle is not ideal but it is definitely not a deal-breaker for me. I am of two minds about the “vignette”, my heart says that I like it but my brain is telling me to be more subtle about it. I am more inclined to go with my heart.

@Adhika_Lie Thanks for your comment. I looked at the file again and I think the vignette was too heavy. There was some natural vignetting in the background, then my processing pushed it further (too far). I’ve updated the image and included a second copy in the original post with the background without any additional vignette. Again, thanks for your comment.

Hi Keith, a full head turn would have been nice but this is still a very fine capture. Nice that she was eyeing the flowers. Lovely background - I like the less vignetted shot best. Seems more natural to me. Well lighted too.