Peek-A-Boo Hummingbird

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I love it when I’m lucky enough to get a wings forward pose and have the head/eye still visible through the translucent part of the wing. Hummer feeding on a Coral Bell flower.

Canon 5D Mark IV
100-400 II at 400mm
1/200 @ f/14, ISO 250
4 flashes, all at 1/16 power

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

What a cool shot, Keith. I had to do a double take looking through the translucency. And it’s so nice to see something different. Oftentimes for me, hummingbirds, albeit beautiful as they are, taking gobs of skill to accomplish, it’s so refreshing to have a nice change of pace adding entertainment and humor into the mix. Of course, technically fine as I might expect.

A very nice shot, Keith. I don’t think I have ever seen a shot done this way before, so I’m enjoying it. What a great position you caught this little guy in. Very nice background, and the flower position works well in this shot, with the curve into the frame. A pleasing image.:+1::+1:

Hi Keith, an intriguing pose and I like the overall composition of the image. A nice background to set off the subject too. Cool to be able to discern the eye through the wing.

Very cool image with the eye visible through the wing. I also like the position of the hummer in the frame and the background is very complementary.

Excellent image with great wing position and flower, Keith. I like the background on this one.