Hummingbird sequence

I don’t often do sequence shots, but this is a fun one. At least I think so. You can click from shot to shot either starting with her on the flower or away from it and see how she moves through the space. The camera locked onto her when she was on the flower and stayed locked as she moved. I love the little arched back in one of them. A flying ballerina!

Specific Feedback Requested

I left the crop fairly loose so that you can see how she travels within the frame. Does that work?

Technical Details

Handheld sitting on the deck couch

Lr for some highlight reduction and a boost in shadows. Some texture, but nothing done to the vibrance or saturation sliders. A small crop. Masking on the bird for some exposure, inverted for less exposure behind. I really like the improvements for automating masks from one photo to another - definite time saver. Topaz Sharpen to bring up details.

2 Likes

I agree, Kris, this is a really fun series to scroll through. Love how her body changes throughout the images. Perfect background and I also like how you’ve framed the photos with the flowers on the left. Very nice seen and captured.

A lovely sequence, Kris. The arched back is well caught.

A very nice sequence, Kris. That third shot is definitely my favorite!

Thanks @linda_mellor, @Stephen_Stanton and @Dennis_Plank - she is a cutie! If we move a flower pot even slightly out of place and she gets a little lost for a minute.

1 Like

Good job Kris! This is always fun and planning ahead and having the right hummingbird attracting flowers is half the game. I have some crocosmia which attract hummingbirds in the middle of the summer but they have yet to bloom.

Wow, you scored some nice shots here, Kris. Congrats!

Kris, this works for me to show the sequence but if you were showing just one of the images I think I might prefer a crop to remove some of the negative space with the first two images. That third image with the arched back is by far my favorite of the 4 and I love the potted flowering plant. Just beautiful Kris.

A lovely sequence of images. My favorite is number 3 with the arched pose. Very nicely captured.

Really great capture, Kris! Tack sharp, lovely little ballerina and beautiful surrounding colors to make her stand out. I really like the curved posture too, it’s so unique.

Thanks @David_Schoen, @David_Haynes, @David_Bostock, @Keith_Bauer and @Vanessa_Hill - she’s quick, but a frequent visitor and gets accustomed to the camera so I get some good opportunities with her. I agree that if I was going to use these as individual shots a tighter crop would be in order, but for the sense of movement I left them wider. Yeah, that little arch is so great. Glad she did it and I’m glad I caught it. Even some of the blurry shots are interesting for the poses and positions these little ones get into.

1 Like

Beautiful sequence Kris! I really enjoy scrolling through it watching the movement. Well done!

Agree, fun images to scroll through. Great detail in all four.

Thanks @Steve_Kennedy and @Allen_Brooks - I delete a lot more hummingbird photos than I keep, but I don’t get tired of trying.

Hi Kristen
Nice job on the framing. You set the box and let the Hummingbird’s action fill the frame. There is a little color blow-out on the lower red flower but, that is a very small nit. Great work.
Peter

Thanks @peter - this little bit of action was probably less than a second, so following her was out of the question - I’m not that fast! But I really like how she moves in the frame.