I am sure the fish went this way.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is the same Great Egret I posted earlier, now ten minutes later it was joined by this non breeding adult.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter
After looking at this frame again I change it a 16by9 and remove the lower right foreground. What do you think?

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, f10, 700mm, -1.7EV, 1/1600, ISO400. The shot was cropped by 55% and I used 2 control points in DXO PhotoLab 7 to bring out the yellow and green eye patches.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Peter. I think the story works a little better with the looser composition, at least for me. I think both versions are excellent and I’d be happy with either.

Both of these are very Wei don with pleasing detail in the white plumage. DOF is right on. A nice behavioral image.

Very nice!! The whites are wonderful as is the story! I could go with either crop. I love the monotone BG / environment!

Hi Peter, nice exposure on the whites and fine poses. Even though I like both images I think I like the tighter crop better to remove the oof vegetation.

The whites are really nice in these Peter. I think I like the second a bit better, and I think it might be even better if you’d clone out the remaining little bits of OOF grasses down there in the LRC.

Hi Dennis, David, Diane, Allen & Ed
Thank you for your comments, Ed cloning is not one of DXO strong points. I went back an tried clone the LRC and I come away believing it looked better with this 16by9 crop.
Peter

1 Like

Nice look at the egrets and nice that both are in focus. Whites look good. I think the tighter crop works with the removal of the grass and the feathers.

Tighter criop works fine for me. The whites are perfect and I like the poses of this dynamic duo…Jim