I know you’re there

Like the other Great Yellowlegs, I posted earlier, this one was working the mud flats on One Mile River in Old Lyme, Ct on Sept. 7, at 7:27 AM. With a 3 ft change in the tides, the Yellowlegs only get a few hours to work these flats.

Thank you for stopping by.

Peter

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7Dll, Sigma 150-600mm, F7.1, 1/250, 600mm, -1.3EV, ISO 400. In DxO PhotoLab 4, I reduced the highlights, increased both vibrancy & saturation and cropped the shot by 40%. This photo was taken handheld from the Zodiac.

Lovely soft light Peter. I especially like how the GYL is highlighted against the darker bg. Well done. Nice reflection as well. Interesting how you left the little twig in where bird if feeding. Many might have removed it. Looks like you got pretty close to the bird.

Hi Peter, nice capture of this feeding behavior - love the pose. I also like the little twig as David mentions. While the bird looks good, I think raising the ISO some and increasing shutter speed would have helped with sharpness on the head and beak. I’d be tempted to clone out the blown out spot above the bird’s front leg. Nice frame.

Great light on the bird and I like how it stands out against the background. Detail looks good and nice reflection. A pleasing image; well done.

I agree with everyone on this. The outstanding features for me in this image are the light, the pose, and the reflection. It might need half a degree of counter clockwise rotation but that is a matter of personal preference.

Peter - I agree with everyone else. Love the twig, and I’m impressed with the detail hand held from a floating platform - well done!

Wonderful capture of great action in great light. I agree about the slight rotation. Looks like the head may have slight motion blur or be out of the plane of sharpest focus, as the tail looks very sharp, but its so slight as to not be a bother for me. A slight touch of Clarity might balance it, but all in all it’s a commendable capture in difficult circumstances.

I wonder if it’s possible to darken the reflections in the FG?

Gorgeous light on this, Yellowlegs, Peter. I do wish it had positioned itself to give you the full reflection, but this is still a beautiful image.

Hi Thanks for all the comments.
Here is a re-posting, without the twig and what DxO Photo Lab 4 thought about counter clock rotation. I click on the crop tool and then the horizon tool (it happen to be in auto) and this is what DxO came up with.
Peter