Looking for breakfast.

This Greater Yellowlegs was photographed in low tide from the Zodiac on the One mile River, on Sep. 3, at 8:10 AM. Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, 700mm, f10, 1/1600, +1EV, ISO 2000. This shot is cropped by 65% and I lowered the whites and removed some of the dark mud and blurred the background some, in DXO Photo Lab 6.

1 Like

Great capture , Peter. I can see the action in the photo moving and the composition. I wonder if a tighter aperture like F/14 would have given you a little more DOF. F10 is wide open with that lens combo at 700mm. I have been stopping down one stop with that same lens setup to get the entire depth of the bird in focus. Well done

Peter, a great shot of one of my favorite birds…I’ve always struggled with ID–Greater or Lesser Yeellowlegs…You got this one right. Nice low angle on the bird too. And the low, angled light works well too. Awesome.

Hi Dean & David
Thank you for the comments. I know the R5 can handle high ISOs, but I try to keep them under 2.000, thus the trade off between f10 & f14.
Peter

I like it and the DOF, on the shallow side for this focal distance works for me. The attention is directed to the bird. Beautiful.

I like the sense of motion with the pose and water splash. I like the open beak.

Apart from the sharp bird, I really like the three horizontal strips of background. Super shot, Peter!

Hi Marie, Allen & Mike
Thank you for the comments. Low tide on the river, bring some of the small bird out and within lock I get to take some interesting shot.
Peter