Ice abstract #4 2018

Funny thing about reviewing this years photos, I had forgotten about the series of ice abstracts that I took from my backyard pond last March, so it was a very pleasant surprise to re-find the series. This is not one of the ones that I posted (on the old NPN site), This is a view through a thin layer of ice with the colors below provided by the water lilies that had some new growth due to warm weather in January and February. The field of view is roughly 15 inches horizontal. It’s a 9 shot stack to get sharpness throughout the image.

5D3, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 IS II @ 286 mm, 1/6 s, f/11, iso 200, tripod and polarizer

1 Like

I remember the series and this is a nice addition to it. It is a real fine combination of shapes, colors and textures. Overall, it looks a little bright to me, but otherwise, no suggestions.

Mark, a really grand find with this one. It would easily make a favorite list for me too. One thing or many things about our photographic world. To me it is unending or endless with regard to the open architecture if you will with our natural and even our unnatural world. So the idea is to take advantage of the wonderful opportunities as you’ve done here…:+1:

Fascinating image Mark. Visually striking and a real joy to study.

I remember the series, Mark. They were very unique and intriguing images and this one is as well. I am enjoying the splash of warm colors of the lilies under the ice surface. Beautifully done.

I thought the ice series was some great work, this is a new one and glad to see it. The captured bubbles are very cool…

A great abstract image with bunches of colors, textures and shapes, Mark! I like how the stem of the lower left orange leaf provides a sense of depth. It literally adds another dimension to the image.

I missed this somehow, Mark. A very nice abstract. I like the way the ice textures work with the underlying vegetation. It looks like the polarizer dvid an excellent job of reducing surface reflections.