Ice Breaking Trumpeters

This pair of Trumpeter Swans arrived at this pond fairly late the night before so I stopped by in the morning to see if they were still there. They were there but most of the pond had frozen over during the night so they were breaking thin ice everywhere they went. I liked this view because you can see the ice shards instead of the normal bow wake. I also like that they were intently focused on me. They actually came quite close for a little visit before they started bottom feeding. The low, sharp morning light was kind of harsh but I like the atmosphere it provides. I cropped it to 16x9 because the upper background was ugly and so that it will fill a 4K screen.

Sony a6500, FE-200600-G @ 600 mm, ISO-200, f/6.3, 1/2500, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Gary, I like the composition here and the ice breaking up as you mention adds a point of interest. Fine sharpness and you handled the side light well with details in the shadows and a catchlight for each swan. I’m not familiar with this species - I imagine the main body plumage was as gray as shown here. Well done.

An interesting composition with the ice shards and the look they’re giving you. I like the lighting on the heads and the whites look good.

Big tough birds. It looks like the one on left has neck feathers pushed up, perhaps by the ice as it plowed on. I like the full on front view with good eye contact. Both birds look sharp and they are not side by side so dof worked well. Colors look right on from the Trumpeters we see around here. Well done on the exposure as well.

I really find look at these Trumpeters. The first thing I noticed was the shard of ice. Very cool and no pun intended. Good job with the foreshortening. A very pleasing environmental image.