Ice Flows on the Yellowstone

After 3 nights with below zero (F) temperatures last October, the Yellowstone Rive had an extensive collection of ice rafts floating on it. (5D3, 24-105 @ 24mm, 1/100 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod and polarizer)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautiful view of the river leading out to the great snow-capped peaks. I might be inclined to burn down the left bank a bit, but otherwise, the processing looks good to my eye. Looks cold!!

An epic scene. I love the color palette of winter blues and browns. That dark bush on the left catches my eye. Perhaps if you burned the left bank as Harley suggested it wouldn’t be so prominent. Or leave the bank and dodge the bush. I admire your dedication to get out in the cold!

It does look very cold!. Wonderful photo with the river and mountain range providing natural leading lines. I agree with Harvey and Bonnie about making some adjustment to the bank and/or the bush. I haven’t done much burning/dodging but am experimenting right now.

Mark: Makes me shiver and makes me want to be there. Wonderful scene superbly captured. >=))>

A very nice vista with the ice being a key element, Mark. The big dark cluster of brush got my attention immediately but once I recognized what it was my eyes went to the right side where everything is close and then followed the diagonal river off into the distance on the upper left. Lots to look at in the large version although I think it could benefit from a little extra sharpening. This site automatically sharpens the small version that it creates so that looks crisp but the large version is a bit soft.