Ice monster

We’ve gone from very cold to quite warm (70F) and back to overnight freezes. The warmth and overnight freezes sets the stage for ice abstracts from my backyard pond. I found this “thing” lurking this morning. I would like to not have the lilly leaf stem coming in from the top, but there’s no way to guess where the ice shapes will be best in advance. I have done considerable darkening and desaturation on that stem to minimize it’s impact. Maybe I should title this “monster on a stick”. :grin: This is a 10 shot stack for top to bottom sharpness.

5D3, 100-400 IS II @ 278 mm, f/16, 0.5 s, tripod, polarizer, cable release and mirror lock-up

Mark, a really neat find here, and well named too. If not maybe the “Frozen Loch Nessy”…:clown_face:
This is another wonderful “ice abstract” you’ve found and photographed very nicely. Quite a vast array of vegetation, rocks, and other items to make this configuration up. Overall, it does seem to make for some really fascinating abstracts…:+1:

Mark,

I see it! Actually, I think the leaf stem even adds to your ice monster fantasy. Change the title to “Impaled Ice Monster” and you might see what I’m seeing… Still, great choice and job toning down the presence of the stem.

Well seen and processed. Can’t say it’s beautiful… given that’s an ugly looking monster! :sunglasses:

Lon

Mark, if this thing came from the Black Lagoon, I believe "harpooned’ is the best description :grinning:

What an amazing find. Are you shooting this with some indierect sunlight to get those amazing warm colors here in the vegetation?

1 Like

Very cool find, Mark. You have come away with some amazing abstracts from your backyard pond.