Ice Wall

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A different take on the layer theme and a very neat one, Patricia. There’s an interesting phenomenon going on here. The icicles from the right side to the center appear to all be pretty vertical, but along the left edge there’s a definite slant to them. It doesn’t look like a photographic artifact, but it has me puzzling over the physics of it. Anyhow, I really like this image. A great one to bring out on a hot summer day.

Patricia, this looks like one of those head figures that come out of one of those Aztec temples. It would have been great for one of those previous challenges where inanimate objects suggest animate ones. Although there are beautiful elements in here I find this to be more of a curiosity than anything. A beatnik with a goatee?

Igor, the weekly challenge for this one is layers not figures.

1 Like

i like the compositional angle you’ve chosen for this which brings out the layers for me… and the details are fascinating!

I see figures in this and that’s what I’m including in my comments. If you’re looking for a technical critique:

1. warp the image to straighten the angled icicles.
  2. clone out the blue spot in the llc
  3. crop to create a square of the left side.

Patricia: Brrrrr! I love the textures in the ice, rock and the sparse vegetation. Nicely seen and captured.>=))>

Patricia, now that looks cold. Great image. I just love how the ice is formed, and the one big rock in the middle, with it’s crack, just makes up so much texture and shapes.

Pat, the long icicles show off the layers here very well. I also like the clear rock as it stands out from the mass of ice. Having tried to shoot “icy falls” several times, I recognize the challenge. This is a fine take. When I look at the large view, the blue and green dots in the shadows get my curiosity going, wondering about how/why they show up.

HI Patricia, I love vertical ice shots in nature, but this winter did not provide many in my area. The bare rock, with all its little fissures, just off center adds a lot of interest as well as the little openings in the ice here and there. Thank you for sharing this icy scene!