Impression ~ Awakening + repost

Original:

Repost:

The view of my backyard just as the sun is peeking over the horizon.

What do you think of my view? How do you respond? Feel? React without know the contextual reference? All thoughts, comments and suggestions are encouraged.
Nikon Z6ii - f/14, 0.3sec., iso100150mm

Hope you enjoy my morning as much as I did.

7 Likes

This is what I love about ICM, Linda! Is it can transport us into a different world! Unless you live in the middle of a forest that’s what this looks like to me and I think is so neat to make something more grand than it might otherwise be.

I really like this, Linda. It feels like the sun kissing the trees (I assume) is almost like fire. I also like the fanning out at the top composition. I am thoroughly enjoying this.

Great light on the trees Linda and wonderful colors! Very reminiscent of long brush strokes. The contrast of the scene pulls me in. This would look great as a big canvas print. Great work!

Just a few recommendations.

1. The blue color along the top right edge could be toned down or cropped out.
  2. There is a white wiggly line on the right side next to the light on the branch. Could be cloned out or darkened.

This is lovely Linda! Beautiful colors. To me it gives an impressionistic feel and gives a positive vibe. Very nice!

Gorgeous!! I get the impression of stately trees being kissed by the golden light of morning. I also love how they fan out at the top, and how the light is just a bit below center, to give a little more visual weight to the base of the image. Well done!!

Thanks so much, @Vanessa_Hill, @David_Bostock, @Alfredo_Mora, @Steve_Kennedy and @Diane_Miller for your kind thoughts and suggestions. You are so right, Alfredo. In the originals I did spend some time toning down the blue on the right and also cropped just a wee bit (1/2"). But, yes, it was still to bright, so thanks for point that out. In the re-post I have muted the blue streak much more and also the white line. I am embarrassed to tell you how long I have been staring at the scene before finally getting myself out there to get the photo! Good to hear you like it also.

1 Like

Love the colours and the tones Linda. The sunlight on the trunks is magical.

The RP is an 11/10!

I’m really liking the high contrast of this image. We often don’t see these bright tones in ICM images and I love this. I might tone down the blues a little bit as they are very dominant, almost taking over the image but not quite. The repost addresses the bright streak going vertical and I like that you removed the blue along the right edge of the frame. I could see this cropped in a couple of different ways. None necessarily better, just different. In both of these you lose a bit or all of the whimsical blues.

I’m glad you’re enjoying this photo, David. This is a scene I see on a daily basis (as long as the sun is shining) and believe or not, it actually is this striking. At lease the gold/yellow/oranges are incredibly vibrant, for approximately 1 minute. I did up the blues a bit, in retrospect, probably a bit too much because in looking at your versions, I can totally see how the gold diagonals leap off the page. So thank you for taking the time to experiment with various crops. I could do this all day!

Wow, very cool! This is really striking. Awakening is a great title. It feels like the world is arising.

I’m with others on the blues being a bit saturated, although I like that squiggle on the right. I was thinking that the lights could be brought out a bit more on the left, to balance it out better. Also, bringing up the darks in the LLC. Here’s my idea. At any rate, this really is gorgeous.

1 Like

I love your take on this “Awakening,” @Bonnie_Lampley. It is fascinating to see how others interpret the same photo. Thanks for your thoughts and taking the time to play with it.

1 Like

Linda,

WOW! Striking has been used (and I like Bonnie’s edit)… so I’m gonna use a word I honestly think that I’ve never used before in a critique. BOLD. I dunno, but this is so striking, powerful in it’s colors and contrast… that it really takes the ICM possibilities to a new level.

I love David’s horizontal crop as this image seemingly contains multiple possibilities. All of which would be striking.

I don’t even want to comment on color and saturation - because there are ZERO rules here - only perceptions and paradymes… This breaks them all.

Lon

You are so kind, @Lon_Overacker . . .thank you. I am very pleased with everyone’s versions of this scene. Which has only emphasized even more how one image can be viewed a multitude of ways. They are all breath taking, at least for me!

1 Like

I could admire this picture endlessly. It has a dynamism and beauty that is superb!

Thank you, Marie. I’m glad you’re enjoying it also. I am going to post it again for my “favorite” from this year as soon as I have time.

It is a superb shot, Linda. I was just about to comment about everyone interpreting the image differently when I saw that you had just made that comment yourself. That to me, is an indication of a wonderful image that gets everyone’s imagination going and instead of making suggestions for improvements, they are reliving it and then bringing forward their mind’s visualisation of it. Wonderful!

For me, Davids horizontal view gives the most intense feeling for the image. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks so much, @Phil_G for taking the time to comment and for your kind thoughts. And yes, I am also very pleased with all of everyone’s thoughts, suggestions and variations. Great stuff going on here at NPN.

Well…if this is what you saw, maybe it’s time to get a new prescription on your eye glasses?
Just Kidding of course, the door was open so I stepped in just for fun :slight_smile:

Seriously though, this reminded me of some tall grasses coming out of the black water in a Louisiana swamp I spent some time at a few years ago. And when I thought of that, I also thought of all the spanish moss hanging from the cypress trees, the water plants and a few alligators and egrets.
So for me, this sparked a memory of a time I really enjoyed. :slight_smile:

I really like the diverging lines of the outer trees? or stalks? It doesn’t matter what they really are, they remind me of tall grasses in a swamp or a marsh.
The greens and blues really add to the overall depth in my opinion, and yep, this would look great printed large on canvas and hanging on a living room wall for all to see.

It’s a pleasure to view in a relaxing way.

1 Like