Impressions in Red

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. This image is one from the three days I spent this past October in Ontario’s near north during peak colour. This particular morning, the sky being overcast, was rather dark and gloomy. This tree, however, was irrepressible in its vibrant redness. I had to make a picture. But between the darkness and the wind, there was no way this was going to be about detail. In the end I did the best I could and was delighted at the very impressionistic look that resulted. For me, this picture is about the splendid colour and the way it hangs off the delicate, dark skeleton of the tree’s trunk and branches. For me, this is part of a series of experiments around finding the essence through abstraction. I would appreciate any comments or, you should excuse the expression, impressions.

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

Love this image Kerry. I am a sucker for impressionistic images like this. The palate is great . I would like even more of a “blur” . The trunk flows as if it is a vase holding the leaves. Great image.

Wonderful image.
Love the color and composition here.
sure does had “a vibe”

I know this feeling well :grin:

Brilliant abstract image. I love how the gaps in the red leaves act like lens that allow us to to peer deeper into the forest, and get a glimpse of what lies beyond. Due to Covid 19, this autumn I did a lot of intimate forest photography because it allowed me to avoid encountering people (whereas autumn is normally a time I pursue more grand landscapes). Focusing on forest photography, I really came to appreciate how powerful the radial patterns of trees can become with symmetric compositions like this. It’s like this tree is bursting with vitality and life. Very well done Kerry, I’m enjoying this a lot.

Kerry, it’s a feast in color and composition.