Inner Workings

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Winter didn’t affect our Louisiana Irises. They are blooming like crazy. So far the best crop we have ever had and they’re just getting started. Wanted to get a frame filling look at the inner details. Opted for a relatively shallow DOF so that not everything is sharp. Was looking to emphasize the near beard and inner petal. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 200mm
ISO 400, 1/50 @ f8

2 Likes

Looks great, Bill, with the frame filling color and a variety of interesting shapes. Given the color, is this one considered red? My previous garden had conventional iris that were roughly this color (reddish purple) that were sold as being red.

Mark: Not sure how this is officially designated as we were gifted it by a friend. She warned us they would multiply and they certainly have. They are freeze resistant too :grinning:.

Gorgeous!! The focal plane hit very interesting areas and the OOF areas frame them very well. I love that it is symmetrical but the center is a little off-center.

I like the image, Bill and it certainly succeeds in how you intended it. With the title you chose, I thought the very inner workings would be the focus, but that was probably just my bias.

I really like this, Bill. I love how your filled the frame entirely, and I think the square format works very well. You mention the shallow DOF, but here I think either overall sharpness or much less DOF with only some sharpness on the tips of the central sepals would have worked better. Now the OOF parts perhaps have too much detail (because of the F8). Something to play around with next time, perhaps.