Is This My Best Side?

The juvenile American goldfinches are popping out like crazy now. While this pose is a bit static, it reminded me of a ham actor posing for the camera. I do love the coloration of the juveniles of this species. Personally, I think they’re more beautiful than the adults.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/640, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Smoothed out the background a bit, made exposure adjustments to the background and the subject/perch, minor increase in saturation and a slight increase in micro contrast for the subject using Topaz Detail 3. Cropped to 4960x3744. Taken yesterday at 1:36 pm under hazy skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

The “American Canary” has always been one of my favorite birds, Dennis. This is a terrific capture. Excellent details and color, and he does appear as if he’s striking a dramatic pose for you, making the comp interesting. Well done.

Hi Dennis, nice pose and details - makes me wonder what the bird is looking at. A real beauty for sure with a complimentary background. I also like how the perch runs diagonal through the frame. Nicely done.

He is beautiful, Dennis. The BG really does compliment him. I also love the way the perch goes diagonally, and going upward, the way the bird is looking. He does appear to be a ham and posing for you. Great shot with wonderful details as well and composition and color.

What a little cutie, with a fitting pose! All said above. I love the rugged look of the perch but might add the possibility to clone out (or crop) the split in the bark near the left edge. Certainly not a flaw but it is a bit of an attention-getter.