Jabiru

Field of Wood Storks and Jabirus

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Traveling from Laguna del Lagarto to the Natural Lodge in Cano Negro, we were probably 80% of the way there when we ran across this field filled with Wood Storks, with a scattering of Jabiru, a few Great Egrets and one (not shown) Roseate Spoonbill. Even my guide had never seen such an assemblage. With the difference in size, it had the feeling of a bunch of Wood Stork workers and a few Jabiru supervisors walking around.

Specific Feedback

Anything. The second image is just a cell phone snapshot to show the crowd.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 581 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/2000, iso 2000. Processed in LR & PS CC. Modest crop to eliminate parts of Wood Storks. Taken February 21st at 1:26 P.M.

What an interesting bird Dennis. Another in a wonderful series. The neck is intriguing. It looks like it swallowed a balloon. It feels really big in the frame, and it sounds like they are a very big bird.

Thanks for sharing this interesting looking bird. Nice pose and handling of the blacks and whites.

@Ed_Williams Adult males can reach 5 feet tall in this species and weigh nearly 20 lbs. It’s the largest flying bird in Central/South America.

1 Like

That’s a heck of a bill on this bird - don’t think I would stand in his/her way. Nice details on the black and white on the bird. Really interesting creature. Well seen and taken.

Very interesting bird, Dennis. I’m guessing that the strange neck holds a crop for frogs, etc. Remove the in-focus top of a stalk visible half-way down its back?

Thanks, MIke. I didn’t even see that one.