Jumping Spider (Tiny)

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This was a tiny little Jumping Spider. He is on a blade of grass, so that gives you an idea. Anything you see that could help. Or is he just too tiny to really work? I have cropped in probably close to 50% of the full frame.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Which do you like best, vertical or horizonal? I like the way the blades of grass are working in the horizonal, but I like that we can see more of his face and eyes in the vertical.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm macro L lens, with a KX-800 twin flash with homemade diffuser. Settings are f16, 1/125, ISO 320 for both shots.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Shirley: I agree with your assessment regarding the orientation. I do like the arrangement of the landscape image but like seeing the facial details in the portrait. This is a fine combo and a really good effort to get such a small subject sharp. :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

Both nice images Shirley. I think I like the vertical better with more of a view of the spider eyes. Still, the way the grasses work in both images is appealing. Well done.

1 Like