Just A Slice

After turning off the alarm in the camper and listening to the rain hit the roof I was contemplating going back to the cozy warm bed. I kept trying to talk myself into that direction, but eventually decided that half the battle was getting up in the dark so I decided to go for it. I am so glad that I resisted the urge as I was rewarded with one of the most memorable sunrises that I have had the good fortune to witness.

I didn’t have much hope for a sunrise, but there was just a sliver along the horizon that wasn’t completely socked in with cloud cover. I made it to my destination shortly after this glorious warm light was starting to appear on the horizon. I had about 10 minutes of this amazing light to savor and enjoy as I set up and started to capture some images. All to quickly it was over and it turned gray and rainy again.

As always thanks for taking a moment and leaving a thought.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This is two vertical images blended in PS. Nikon D200, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 11 @ 1 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

2 Likes

What a beautiful memory to accompany this beautiful image. The layers going back into the distance are subtle and gorgeous. Congrats, Ed!

A new day with a heck of an opener. Such intense colors, but softly rendered, as if it knows it’s bold and brash, but wants to creep anyway. Glad you caught it and shared. A scroll crop of the sky to the same proportion of the nearest hills is interesting.

Ed, this is way cool! The dark purple at the top balances well with the purple mountain tops leading into the distance and the dark ridge at the bottom. Having that top darkness tells the story of sunrise sneaking through a gap in the clouds, which is always a nice surprise (when you get up enough ambition to go looking…I’m very familiar with the “just roll over and forget it” attitude :grin:. This also looks good as a pano without the top cloud, but tells a very different story.

Hi Ed, this is a very beautiful scene! I love the layers of mountain range. I really like your story to go with it. Great capture!