Just before sunset + rework

I went to one of the spots I visit frequently, but the birds let me down this time. Too many people around, too few animals. But just before the daylight was really gone, this great crested grebe caught the last rays of sun.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Pentax K3 Mk. iii, Sigma EX DG 4/100-300mm with 2x converter @600mm.
ISO 3200, f4, 1/8000 sec, -1.3 EV exp. comp.

3 Likes

Light to die for! Soft though, so maybe not enough to focus by. Very quiet and evocative of the end of day and the hope for a peaceful night.

That is just beautiful, @Han_Schutten. I love the light and the lack of detail in the dark areas. Well done!

1 Like

Gorgeous light, Han and a great angle on the bird. It may be a touch soft, but the bill and eye look sharp to me and that’s what counts the most.

I like how the sun spotlights the head and neck with nice detail and color. Beautiful. Worth framing. I could see blacking out the lower head shadow.

Hi Han
The magic never leaves you. Very nice.
Peter

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind comments, @Kris_Smith, @peter, @David_Bostock, @Allen_Brooks, @Dennis_Plank.
@Allen_Brooks : you mean the lower reflection of the head, I suppose? I understand your intention, I was wondering myself what to do with it. The grebe caused just enough ripple in the water around it to create a double reflection. I’ll give your suggestion a try.

Outstanding light. I like the pose. Agree about the lower head shadow.

Wonderful exposure. The light is magical and it’s amazing how the rest of the bird disappears into the surroundings.

However, I do think this causes some subtle balance/composition issues. I feel like the placement of the subject is a bit off… is it intended to be centered? Did you want to leave the standard “space in front of a profiled subject”? Either way, it doesn’t quite fit. For example, if centering the light tones which are drawing the eye (bird head and neck, plus reflection), I feel it needs to be shifted left and up in the frame. If leaving more space in front of the bird is the goal, then I almost feel it needs more space in front. As presented, it feels to me like it’s caught in between two ideas.

If the original was cropped on the right, you could maybe center the bird and then have the complete circular ripple behind it. Just a minor thought, but it’s a great shot, very different.

Absolutely gorgeous light. The softness doesn’t bother me at all. You were rewarded handsomely and the birds did not let you down. Great head angle and catch light in the eye with a terrific blacked out background.

Thank you all, @David_Schoen , @Max_Waugh , @Mike_Friel and @David_Haynes for your time and your comments.
Yes, the original was cropped on the right, though not very much. I intended to leave a part of the circular pattern in the water visible. There is no more space in front of the bird, in the RAW file (but it could be added in post-processing).
I think, that removing the lower head shadow already changes the balance in the image. I cropped a little bit more on the right as well, sacrificing part of the circular pattern but creating a bit more space relatively in front of the bird.
Please shoot, let me know your thoughts about this version.

Han, to me the repost feels a bit more natural. My eye isn’t being tugged in different directions. I appreciate you taking the time to try it out.